smash.gg is seeking smart and kind interns to join our engineering team. As an intern at smash.gg, you will help us build the esports platform and make an impact in the lives of gamers everywhere. We are taking an ecosystem-based approach to esports, working hard to provide value-add services for organizers, broadcasters, players, and spectators. Our live events tournament platform is the first step in tackling this problem. This internship has a minimum twelve (12) week duration.
What you will be doing:
At smash.gg we expect all our engineers to wear multiple hats. You will be challenged with problems from a variety of software engineering disciplines: Systems, product development, and process. We'll be in conversation during the entire interview process to determine which side of product best matches your skill-set and interests.
- Rising Senior or Masters student in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience building web applications (JS or PHP preferred)
- High levels of creativity and quick problem-solving capabilities
- Demonstrated software engineering experience from previous projects, work experience, coding competitions, or publications
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the USA in 2018
- Experience with GraphQL and Apollo
- Experience or exposure to relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with cloud platforms like GCP or AWS
- Love of competitive play
We are excited to meet and consider strong students for full-time paid internships. We are a fast-moving team and you will get many chances to make a real-life impact in the lives of gamers everywhere.
Our platform has many interesting technical challenges including:
- Realtime player/organizer interactions (https://firebase.google.com/docs/functions/case-studies/smash.pdf)
- Cross-game stats aggregation/display
- Extremely flexible self-organizing leagues (http://compete.kotaku.com/anime-fighting-games-are-about-to-get-a-great-chance-to-1794077072)
- Complex brackets that scale to thousands of entrants (https://blog.smash.gg/changes-in-the-world-of-brackets-695ecb777a4c)
Check out some cool ways our users are using our platform:
-> Summit Spring 2017 (https://smash.gg/summit4/shop) using our stats:
-> Rocket League Championship Series (30k person online Rocket League tournament: https://smash.gg/rlcs2) players using our online reporting between matches:
-> Road to Shine (1.4k person online Smash 4 tournament: https://smash.gg/roadtoshine) player using our online reporting:
-> Brawlhalla Circuit (https://smash.gg/brawlhallacircuit):
-> Summit Spring 2017 (https://smash.gg/summit4/voting) live player voting/elimination (viewer discretion advised):